Thursday, February 14, 2013

Eggs.

   Ever since I first typed into a Macintosh computer in the early 90s and saw my words also appear on another computer two feet away, I have been thrilled with the concept of networked computers. My interest increased with films such as The Matrix, and added the element of remotely accessing computers. Now, having experience with programming and Linux, Stoll's The Cuckoo's Egg has made me very curious about the world of Internet Forensics and cyber security.

   Stoll tells his story with perfect balance. He gives detailed descriptions and explanations so even those who are only vaguely familiar with the way computers work can appreciate the story, yet he weaves in enough color to keep it engaging and enjoyable---and does so with finesse. It was gripping, and refused to be put down---my sleep suffered more than usual.

    Surprisingly, the book hasn't made me paranoid of a cyber attack. It has, however, made me think about the passwords I use, and how often I change them. During the time I was reading the book, I came across this, and this, and I agree that the passwords most people choose are fairly feeble, but not for the reasons they may expect. On a side note, it's handy to know an extremely obscure language used by a South-east Asian hill-tribe people---even if you use a common phrase, no one will ever guess it, or remember it if they happen to see your keyboard as you type it in.

2 comments:

  1. You are an excellent writer. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also began thinking about all my passwords. I actually went through and changed the majority of them. I'd never thought about using words from another language. I may have to try that.

    ReplyDelete